As the saying goes, you are what you eat and the same applies to your pet. Good nutrition is essential in keeping your pet healthy. The proper diet can help them maintain a healthy weight, keep their coat lustrous and help keep their teeth clean. It can also help address health issues like itchy skin, certain urinary tract disorders and joint stiffness.
So how can you tell if what you’re currently feeding your pet is providing the proper nutrition?
The proof is in the protein
Premium foods contain higher-quality proteins from chicken, fish, lamb and beef. Protein is an essential nutrient in your pet’s diet and a building block for healthy coat, skin and muscle growth. Lower-quality proteins derived from bone and connective tissue have lower nutrient value.
Higher-quality ingredients = better digestibility
The higher-quality ingredients in premium foods are more digestible and contain more usable nutrients. The better the digestibility, the more nutrients your pet will absorb in their system. Foods with lower-quality ingredients are less digestible and move more quickly through your pet’s system.
Not convinced you should switch your current pet food brand to a premium food? Learn the benefits of feeding a premium brand over a lower-quality food.
Premium food: The benefits
- Less waste for you to pick up: Because premium foods are more digestible and enable your pet to absorb more nutrients, your pet will require less food per feeding which means your pet will produce smaller, firmer stools with less odour. That means less clean up for you, especially if you’re toilet training. Lower-quality foods with lower digestibility and caloric density require more feedings and can cause more frequent bowel movements and increased flatulence.
- Better value: Because you feed less amounts with premium food, it only costs cents more per day to provide your pet with superior nutrition.
- Cleaner teeth and fresher breath.
- Animal based proteins and fish oils promote a soft, shinier coat. Because of their quality nutrients, premium foods help keep your pet’s skin and coat healthy and may help avoid issues including food allergies.
- Greater energy and alertness bring a new sparkle to your pet’s eyes.
- For the health of your pet: Specific diets are available for sensitive stomachs, obesity and hip and joint stiffness. Specially formulated premium foods can also help with conditions such as hairballs, urinary tract and dental disease.
Don’t forget to bring in or sign up to a Frequent Purchaser card. These are available for our premium diets, and entitle you a free bag after your 10th purchase.
New food purchasers are entitled to a new user discount available on selected Royal Canin diets.
Come and visit us to see what our current in-store promotions can offer, and to discuss your pet’s specific diet requirements.